Monday, November 1, 2010

A month and a backpack...

Happy November 1st Everyone~

Midwest Mountainering Gear provided via Sam Usem Chair
of the Americas Committee Compatible Technology International
For all your travel needs go see SAM!
A decent portion of this weekend was spent finalizing details and logistics.  From where we are staying to USAID transportation to and from our village, securing meetings in London, Dakar, Bamako, Mopti, Tominian on the Niger River (near Timbuktu) and so on and so on.

Lastly, beginning the dreaded chore of packing for the unknown.  Going to countries with so little, and so adhering to that standard, but still having the neccessities entering a 3rd World Country.  What does one truly need?

I had communication with my former Director of Prairie School of Dance.  She was eager to help me in my pursuits over in Africa, so I inquired if she would be willing to donate "Lost and Found" ballet slippers for me to bring along so that I can teach morning ballet class to the village children, and then provide the kids with those donated shoes.  Both Senegal & Mali are French speaking countries so I should be able to manage.  I will be thrilled to share with you my experiences! Please visit PSOD at http://prairieschoolofdance.com/ For any of you parents that are in the Western suburbs, this is a remarkable and wholesome environment that I highly recommend for your daughters.

Krystal Ols asked me at the gym tonight about packing. I will be taking two backpacks.  Currently, I have 3 long dresses, 4 tanks, 4 shirts, 3 cargo pants, hat, 2 scarves, meds, net, 3M DEET, Sunscreen, towel, sheets, necessities.  Because I will be needing space for the ballet slippers in the personal backpack-I will most likely be re-packing again-and I am sure again, go without, so they don't have to.

I will have a bunch of literature along in a second (day pack) for data analysis, pre-placement surveys, field study, GIS/GPS modeling and mapping, as well as a computer, solar panels, blogging, video, photo, equipment, a  few good books for Grad School (and down time) which I will be taking between work at the Toubacouta/Beach  http://www.paletuviers.com/ .  I think will be a much needed and welcomed retreat. 

Tonight I wrote down my Crossfit workouts that I can do in the privacy of my own room and not go crazy without my fix of independence, so there is now a clarity and readiness that runs deep.

There is nothing better than a clear and benevolent mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment